Following first contact with the Shaltari in 2342, humanity was guided to the Cradle Worlds during the Age of Exploration.
At the time the EAA reconstruction efforts on Earth were progressing as planned, but the opportunity to reduce overpopulation on Earth by establishing mass colonies upon unspoilt worlds and to increase the resources available to humanity was extremely fortuitous.
Utopia Colony was the first of the Cradle Worlds to be colonized, with a mammoth operation by the first colony fleet. The settlement of the world was thoroughly planned, and conducted relatively rapidly and without complications. As planned, Utopia Colony was developed as a new Earth, a self sufficient second home for humanity.
New Gaia was the second of the Cradle Worlds to be colonized, in the transition phase between the final stages of occupying Utopia Colony and the EAA conducted parallel colonization of the remaining Cradle Worlds. As a result the world ended up with the smallest colonial population, and also the least regimented social structure of any of the Cradle Worlds. The EAA reacted by encouraging this trend, and using the world as humanities pressure release for dissident groups, anarchists, and incompatible political factions. New Gaia became a center for art and philosophy, with a primarily agricultural economic base.
Anemoi, Elysium, Halcyon and Olympus were settled simultaneously in slower operations than that of Utopia Colony. Utopia Colony was used as a colonization support outpost for these operations. Following settlement the four worlds each took on seperate specializations as they developed, supported by the older Utopia Colony and Earth.
List of Cradle Worlds:
- Anemoi, Cradle World, industrial world and primary EAA shipyard.
- Elysium, Cradle World, agricultural and resort world in the Hades system.
- Halcyon, Cradle World, industrial and science world.
- Olympus, Cradle World, regional EAA capitol world.
- New Gaia, second colonized Cradle World, dedicated to art and philosophy.
- Tartarus, mining and penal colony in the Hades system.
- Utopia Colony, first colonized Cradle World, closest to Earth.